f2276: my marfy wool vest as an FO (they grow up so fast…)

hello, gorgeous!

well, i did it. thanks to the FNSI and a strong desire to get this done, and possibly bring it with me on a vacation, i got this baby done in about 8 hours’ worth of total sewing time.

it’s not perfect–far from it–but it’s warm, and it’s actually pretty comfortable, and while the collar is even more dramatic than i had imagined i think the end result is really something special.  maybe i’m projecting the image of the marfy name a bit far, but it does have a great foreign and sophisticated air about it, as if to say, “voila!  je me promenade a dejeuner…”

i did get bollixed up in assembling the back, and there is no stripe matching of any kind.

i flatter myself it is more noticeable in the photo than in real life.

the lining went in by hand, and i piped it with this crazy pearl trim that seemed like a super fun idea at the time that was really just a lot of extra work.  i pity those women who make their own bridal wear after dealing with trim like this.

to really set the lining properly, i had this fabulous brainstorm to position it on my dress form and do it by hand that way.  i felt just like coco chanel (or at least one of her petites mains).

it took two and a half episodes of leverage off of my season 3 DVD to get this done!  i started at about 7 pm, broke for dinner around 8.30, and finished it up just after 10.
Pattern Description:
This hippy style vest has short raglan sleeves, closes with a zipper, rounded edge at the hips and wool trim.

Pattern Sizing:
i made the size 42

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
pretty close!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
this being marfy, there were no instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
the collar is stunning and dramatic and is a perfect complement to the relative simplicity of the vest itself. i don’t normally enjoy a raglan sleeve, but on this one it worked for me. i did not like the armhole princess stye line but ended up working with it just fine.

Fabric Used:
wool sweater knit from ann at gorgeous fabrics.
silk charmeuse lining from annex at paron’s
beaded trim from pacific trimming
camelhair wool from mood fabrics

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
i re-drafted the entire pattern, using the existing pattern pieces as a guide, because i needed flatter princess curves for my figure. i also drafted it with zero wearing ease to accommodate the slight stretch in the knit i used.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
i might sew it again if the right combination of fabrics came my way. a piece like this is a classic and could easily be adapted to any number of situations.

Conclusion:
excellent pattern that worked really well with my ideas for this fabric. all mistakes were my own and i’m happy with the end result.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Finished Objects, Pattern Review and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s