by the end of day two, camp chanel was basically a non-stop marathon for me. i had big dreams and lots of work to do.
and yet i was still shocked when i ran out of thread, probably because i had already been to jo-ann twice that day. so i just casually swapped…
to purple thread. i am pretty sure no one noticed, because i was quilting godets like a madwoman.
cutting the godets turned out to be a huge deal, because i was almost literally out of fabric. i had thought i had nearly five yards but it was probably closer to three and every snip into the fabric would affect anything else i wanted to accomplish. no pressure there! i cut the godets on the bias, both for drape and for visual interest. by some miracle (a passover miracle? but it was more like the never-ending oil of chanukah…) i had enough fabric for four godets, in two sets that mirrored each other.
fortunately, quilting the godets was a cinch. mostly because susan uttered words i never expected to hear from her in my life: bag them out so they are pre-hemmed and quilt right off the edges.
dude, i can so do that.
by tuesday night, i had four godets and two sleeves ready for insertion. both as a design intention and as a necessity, i went for a half-sleeve. this allowed me to use a two-piece sleeve rather than a three-piece sleeve, because three pieces would have unnecessarily cluttered up the lines of the shorter sleeve. bonus: a two-piece sleeve takes up less fabric!
i focused then on cleaning up the inside of my sleeves and jackets so that everything was mostly done – done enough, at least, to try on a sleeve and finalize the sleeve placement. this took approximately four episodes of series 6 project runway (susan laughed when i explained my method of measuring time, but it made sense to me…)
a note on tools: i ended up switching over to a japanese needle for this handwork. amazingly, it made a huge difference.
and then by wednesday morning, i had this: