believe it or not, i am still sort of in recovery from this year’s camp chanel. working on two jackets was exhilarating but also hugely exhausting, and at the end of the week i was so excited to be back outside, in my garden, and focused on something different that i needed to ride that wave for a while and let my other work come back to me.
to help myself along, i set a task: finish V1207 in time for my sister’s hooding ceremony at her graduate school.
and i’ve been slowly…
forcing myself to meet that goal.
even though i’m feeling much more like i’d rather be doing this.
and this fabric, while gorgeous – and VERSACE, for crying out loud – is shockingly problematic. i am not convinced it is 100% silk, just because of its texture and its ornery-ness as i was attempting to cut it. (i also think it might be time to sharpen my serrated edge ginghers)
it also doesn’t help that it literally took me six months to figure out how to fit this pattern.
because i am an idiot.
so i have my usual method of using my sloper with an existing pattern, right?
great. only it wasn’t until two weeks ago that i realized the reason i wasn’t getting my moulage to fit properly – i kept thinking i needed to add two inches to the shoulder seam, when i usually have to do the opposite – is because this pattern isn’t a set-in sleeve.
it’s a raglan. once i realized i needed to account for the shoulder height and slope by taping on the raglan sleeve, it fit almost perfectly. i even made a muslin. i was completely in business. except for the cutting bit. (BOOOO on dull scissors!!)
so, meanwhile, i continue to do a few seams a night while i mostly veg out to “the fabulous beekman boys” and “the amazing race,” cycle 21. (yes, those two things are related. and i completely adore the beekman boys.) i decided to underline the lining instead of the fashion fabric because the versace print is also a little more sheer than i remembered it being, and i didn’t want the underlining to interfere with a clean drape on the main dress. i am really glad i made this decision, because the main garment has a lot of pleating and draping, and the lining substitutes all of that with simple darts, making it a better fit for underlining in the first place. i hope.
and meanwhile, a flower from my garden to share with you all.