and i, of course, obliged.
enter the magic blue envelopes of simplicity project runway patterns. for me, a simplicity PR pattern is a go-to when i want something new that fits close enough out of the envelope that i do not have to stress or do extensive alterations. as we used to say when i worked in congress – it’s close enough for government work!
i took 1 inch out of the bodice, front and back, to compensate for my short waist and small bust. simplicity 1610 is, as most project runway patterns are, an armscye princess bodice. i do not always love the armscye princess. for some reason, HRH does not always play nicely with my sloper and the adjustments i need to make. but in this instance i had another pattern, a TNT in the form of S1803, and i was able to compare pattern pieces and adjust accordingly without too much fuss.
while i had much love for the simple halter-top design of S1610, i knew i wanted a completely different skirt look. i swapped out the included skirt for my self-drafted (with kenneth king and a skirt moulage) revision of my vintage classic simplicity 2099. a few years ago i re-adjusted the skirt, making a newer, longer version with a high-low hem. i do not care how many times you call it a mullet skirt or a passing trend, it will be a long time before i do not love how the long skirt back drapes gracefully behind me like a bustle or a train. i always keep the front length just above the knee for comfort and style, and the back hem is usually 10 inches below the front.
i obviously cannot pretend that it fits perfectly. if i had been more invested, i would have shortened the front crossover using the slapdash sewist SBA method. but a safety pin was easier for yesterday, and i am happy with how the back fits, it is snug at the waist, and the length of the front bodice is pretty perfect.
all edges and hems are topstitched in contrasting thread – don’t look at me like that, carolyn, it was a design choice – and i made bias tape out of the lizzy house to finish the crossover edges.